Black Friday Sale Ends Today!
CompTIA and TestOut have joined forces, accelerating the shared goal of empowering millions of students. Learn More ❯
Login Free Trial

Trends, FOMO and the Search for IT Employment

Posted by TestOut Staff on

Today, trends seem to control our society. We glance multiple times a day at what is trending on Facebook or Twitter because of our innate FOMO (fear of missing out). You check your favorite team’s latest trends in the sporting world, and dive even deeper into your favorite athletes’ statistical trends. To those of you concerned with your personal style, you are checking the latest fashion trends to keep up-to-date.

Fueled by FOMO

A popular pastime for most is to watch the latest financial trends. Consumers glue their eyes to pricing changes and the latest sale pricing to get the best deals possible. Money is easily one of the greatest motivators in the world — and also one of the biggest causes of stress. This is why employment is so important in each of our lives. Luckily, employment in the IT world is trending up.

After several months of being on a downward trend, IT job numbers finally began trending in a favorable direction in August. According to recent CompTIA analysis of the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics Employment Situation report, 250,000 IT professionals reported getting a job in the month of August. That means that there are approximately 4.6 million IT workers employed in the United States right now.

Despite poor IT employment numbers over the last few months, 2016 has proven to be a great year for the IT career seeker. The IT sector added several thousand jobs were in August, meaning that there are 54,100 total new jobs for the year. In August, 6,100 jobs were added in the computer systems design and IT software occupations, while other information services added 1,100 jobs, and data processing added 900 jobs in August.

Out of the total number of U.S. IT jobs, 44 percent are found at IT sector employers, while the other 56 percent are in non-IT industries. The moral of this story is, no matter where you want to work, there is likely an IT position open for you.

Trends have ups and downs on a regular basis. That is what makes them trends. It’s up to you as an IT job seeker to take advantage of the current positive trend in IT employment. Give in to your inner FOMO and be sure that you check job boards and employment listings frequently. Be ready to leap as soon as you spy an opportunity — you have to put yourself out there to find a job.

Jedi Jake Slater, the Social Media MasterAbout the AuthorJake Slater is the social media manager for GoCertify and a graduate of Brigham Young University. Jake did not make FOMO up. It is a really real thing.

Share this post

← Older Post Newer Post →